Building Department Montcalm County Department of Building Safety

Montcalm County Building/SESC Department
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
We do not close for lunch.
211 W. Main St. - P.O. Box: 368
Stanton, MI 48888 
Phone: (989) 831-7394 - Fax: (989) 831-7392
Building Department Email:
Building Official: Michael Kalka
BSA Login for Licensed Contractors

Only one visitor allowed in the office at a time.

Office Operations Handled by:
Steve Willison: 
Andy Arwood:
Dale Main:

Building Inspections Handled by:
Michael Kalka: 
Phillip Baxter: 


PLANS – (blueprints or drawings) - Plans shall have enough detail to allow a builder to completely construct the project.  All plans shall show the type and detail of foundation, lumber size, and spacing (floor joist, wall studs, etc.), roof construction (rafter/truss details, hips, valleys, etc.) window and door locations and size.  A minimum of a site plan (show all buildings on property and distances from property lines), foundation plan, floor plan, and an elevation plan are required.  A copy of the plans shall be retained by the Building Department.  Commercial plans shall be signed and sealed by a registered architect or engineer.
Documents & plans can be emailed to:

Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing Inspectors will be available for questions on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Between 8:00 am and 9:00 am
At least 1-day Notice is Required to Schedule These Inspections
Call 989-831-7394 to Schedule Inspections
Electrical Inspector, Colt Jacobs Inspects Tuesdays and Thursdays
Mechanical Inspector, Lance Gates Inspects Tuesdays and Thursdays
Plumbing Inspector, Doug Haase Inspects Tuesdays and Thursdays

The purpose of this office is to administer the state construction code. It provides building code enforcement in those parts of the county where townships and cities do not provide their own enforcement.

The Montcalm County Building Department was established in 1974 and today consists of 4 full-time employees and 3 part-time employees. The Building Department is responsible for enforcement of the State Construction Code Act of 1972. The State of Michigan mandates that a nationally recognized code shall be enforced throughout the State.

The Building Department issues Building, Electrical, Plumbing, and Mechanical Permits from this office along with providing the public with basic construction information and assistance in obtaining the required permits. The citizens and contractors of Montcalm County are fortunate to have one department that provides service to all 20 townships in the county. We also assist the City of Greenville by issuing Electrical, Plumbing, and Mechanical Permits for their jurisdiction.  The City of Greenville issues its own Building Permits.

All inspectors have regularly scheduled times that they are available in the office to answer questions before going into the field to perform inspections. The inspectors for Montcalm County have nearly 200 years of combined experience to ensure the quality of service Montcalm County deserves. The Montcalm County Building Department is proud to offer what we feel is the best service available in West Michigan to our residents and builders throughout the county and surrounding areas. We strongly recommend that anyone considering a construction project of any size, large or small, contact the Building Department ahead of time. We will assist you in any way we can to help you through the sometimes confusing and complicated process of obtaining all of the necessary permits and documents to complete a project. One phone call can simplify the process and help to make your project a success.


    Is the building or structure used for an agricultural purpose?  Defined as: pertaining to, or connected with, or engaged in agricultural tillage which is characterized by the act or business of cultivating or using land and soil for the production of crops for the use of animals, or humans, and includes, farming, dairying, pasturage, horticulture, floriculture, viticulture, and animal and poultry husbandry.

    A building permit is not required for a building incidental to the use for agricultural purposes of the land on which the building is located if it is not used in the business of retail

Look at the following questions:

  1. Are you zoned Agricultural?
  2. Do you have an Agricultural ID number for the state tax exemption?
  3. Does 50% of your income come from your agricultural business?

If you answered no to any of these questions you do not meet the requirements for an agricultural exemption on your building.                                     

Zoning approval is required in zoned townships.

An agricultural exemption application MUST be submitted to this office for review.                                                                                                                         Agriculture Exempt Application

Montcalm County Department of Building Safety is also the enforcing agent for Soil Erosion & Sedimentation Control (SESC) in Montcalm County
SESC Inspectors:
Philip Baxter -
Michael Kalka -
Andy Arwood -
Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Residential Permit
Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Commercial/Industrial Permit

Bureau of Construction Codes (BCC) & Montcalm County Construction Ordinance
State of Michigan Bureau of Construction Codes & Fire Safety
Construction Ordinance
Application for an Appeal to Construction Ordinance

Montcalm Assessors

Zoning Administrators and Assessors

General Construction Information & Web Sites

Responsibilities of the Building Department
Most Common Building Inspection Corrections
Purchase Code Books through the State of Michigan
Michigan Res-Check Web Site
MMDHD Well & Septic
Drive Way Permit - Montcalm County Roads
Driveway Permit - MDOT on State High Ways
Address Application - Equalization Department

Basic Code Requirements
Residential Accessory Structure - Garage, Pole Building, Storage Shed, Etc. 
Egress Windows
Smoke Alarms
Carbon Monoxide Alarms
Residential Stair Details
Exterior Deck Construction
Hand Rails & Guard Rails
Energy Code Requirements
Blower Door Test
Fire Blocking
Manufactured Home Requirements
Pole Building Layout

Permit Applications & Forms -
Construction Ordinance Documentation
(Applications & forms can be emailed to:
Requirements for Obtaining a Permit
Application for Contractor Registration
Application for Building Permit
Application for Electrical Permit
Application for Plumbing Permit
Application for Mechanical Permit
Application for LPG Tank Set Permit
Fire Suppression/Protection Permit
Gas Pressure Test Affidavit
Residential Prescriptive Res-Check Form